Saturday, March 10, 2007

Waste Of Time And Money

Yesterday, I had to go downtown a bit to do some errands. While I was there, I decided to stop in this wine shop called Vino. It sells only Italian wines from around the old country. Anyway... I decided to get a couple of things. One was at the recommendation of the shop-guy, and the other was something I had wanted to try. The recommended bottle was Tenute del Portale Aglianico del Vulture Riserva 2000, Basilicata Italy. This wine is made from the Aglianico grapes, which are grown in volcanic soil. This supposedly gives the grapes more minerality and spice. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know, because the wine was totally heat-damaged. So... I've got to go back to get a refund/exchange. The second bottle we opened last night was the other one I bought there. It was Conti Zecca Cantalupi Riserva 2002, Pulgia Italy. I guess the "legal" name of this wine is actually Salice Salentino Riserva, and it's made from the Negro Amaro grape. The wine is described as having some leather and spice aromas and flavors. Well... to me it tasted like you were drinking a leather coat. Not enjoyable at all. So... we struck out with the wine last night. After having two crappy bottles, we switched to water instead. What can you do?

No comments: