Thursday, February 01, 2007

Top Chef Finale

So I am/was very into the television show Top Chef. I started watching the first season one of those days when it was really crappy out and they had a marathon on Bravo. This year, we've been watching the show week-by-week as it aired on television (or at least soon afterwards on the DVR). Last night was the season finale to see who was this season's "Top Chef." It was a cook-off between Ilan (a line chef from NYC's (and Mario Batali's) Casa Mono) and Marcel (Master cook at Joel Robuchon at the Mansion). Throughout the season, Marcel has gone from annoying brat with Oompa-Loompa hair to the underdog I wanted to win. Unfortunately, Ilan took the prize last night. At first I thought Marcel was going to lose because he forgot the fish for his third course, however he appeared to recover nicely from that by re-working the dish. I think his biggest downfall was because he served a green salad for his second course. Sure, it looked pretty, but that's something I could have put together in college. Had he actually cooked something or done something with a little more skill for that course, I think he would have pulled it off. I wanted to see him win to put it back into all of the other contestants' faces after making fun of him all season. Ah well... what can you do?

NP: Target, Fugazi

No comments: