Friday, February 16, 2007

Best Laid Plans

Today has been a day of screw-ups and inconveniences. It all started this morning. We had to take the baby to the doctor today to get his shots. My wife was going to go to work late - we were going to drive over to the doctor's office and then she was going to drop us off back at home and she was going to head to work. Well... I've been working the past couple of days and have had no time to do anything "around the house." Unfortunately, that means no one dug out our car after the snowstorm. Between the snow, people shoveling out their own cars, and the NYC plow system, our car was buried in a block of ice. Really. The street side of the car was walled in by a 2 foot thick 2 1/2 foot high wall of grey ice. The front and the back weren't too much better. The sidewalk side wasn't too bad (I could at least open the back door). So, instead of going with them to the doctor's (my wife and son went via NYC cab), I stayed behind trying to dig out the car. Mayor Bloomberg decided that the snow was gone and re-instituted alternate side of the street parking today. Therefore, I needed to at least try and get my car out to avoid the $150 parking ticket. I worked from 8:30 until 10:30 and unless you knew what it looked like when I started you would think I did no work at all. After that, my wife got back with the baby and I had to come back in to take care of him (haven't settled the new nanny situation yet).
Then, I had planned on getting some work done from home, but the baby got his shots today and was extra cranky. I got the work done, but it took me all day.
Finally, my FreshDirect order arrived (over 1 hour late). In this order, I got one of their ready to cook meals. You see, they send you everything (some even in ready to cook packaging) and in like 20 minutes, you've got a nice home-cooked meal (theoretically). Unfortunately, the vegetable "hobo" pack had a hole in it that I didn't notice. So, while it was in the oven, the butter in the pack basically poured out into the oven causing a nice grease fire on the bottom of my oven. The apartment was filled with smoke, we had to open all the window to air it out, and the baby got even more upset. I think I've salvaged the meal, but the "easy" part of it is all gone.
So... my wife is feeding the baby and putting him to sleep and I'm writing this. Soon we'll eat. Hope everyone else is having a good day!

NP: Stuffy Turkey, Thelonious Monk

2 comments:

zorknapp said...

It's one of those days where nothing goes as planned. Sucks.

A grease fire is not the type of excitement you want. Does your apartment have smoke alarms that would set off a building alarm? That's what I'm always paranoid about with smoke.

Louie said...

You know... we don't have those kind of alarms, but in order to get the smoke out, we opened the front door and the windows - to get some cross ventilation going. So, we were worried we would set off the alarms in the hall. Luckily we didn't or else the night could have been worse.