Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Superman III, Part 2

I got around to seeing Superman Returns this week. After reading a bunch of luke-warm reviews, I wasn't really sure what to expect of this film. All I knew was that I was going to be a sheep and go see this thing in the theater. As someone who remembers standing in line to see the first couple of movies with his parents way back when, I was actually pretty excited to see this movie. It all started when I saw the first trailer for Superman Returns on the internet. I dug the use of the original Superman Theme and Marlon Brando's voice. Maybe it was nostalgia for my youth or the hope that this new movie might actually kick some ass.
Unfortunately, it didn't kick ass, but I did really enjoy it. I appreciated Bryan Singer's loyalty to the original franchise (the movie begins and ends just like the first couple of Superman films). Also, the special effects were awesome. This movie has some of the best flying effects I've ever seen. Kevin Spacey is terrific. Brandon Routh also does a nice job of playing Superman (and his voice sounds just like Christopher Reeve's). I wasn't crazy about Lois Lane, and there are definately some plot holes (more when considering this movie is a sequel to Superman I & II). All in all, however, I think this was a very good movie. A very good comic book movie and an amazing improvement over Superman III and IV.
Of course, I could have done without the two girls sitting next to me discussing how they couldn't believe the movie people screwed up so bad as putting in the credits that Superman was from DC Comics when he obviously was from Marvel Comics (it's from DC).


NP: You Saved My Life, Joe Satriani

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

It's comedy that they were actually arguing over the DC/Marvel issue in the first place, because I'm amazed that they even *knew* that there were two main comic companies...