Saturday, July 22, 2006

3 Rings

It's been a while since I've had much to say about red wines. I guess it's because it is the summertime. Not that I think you can't have reds in the summer, but the food we've been eating has been lending itself over to the white side of wine more often. Last night, I cracked open a bottle of Three Rings Shiraz Barossa Valley, Australia, 2004. I had noticed it in the shop when I went to buy some wine to make Sangria (there's an earlier post about that). The store had a clipping of a review of the wine next to the display and I thought it sounded like a nice wine to try. (It also received a 91 from the Wine Advocate/Robert Parker if you care about such things.)
Last night we were having some pork and I was really in the mood to have this wine, so I gave it a go. Right away, I was enjoying this wine. It had a deep, dark, purple/red color and a nice scent of blackberries and oak. My initial thoughts on tasting it were more of the same, but there were also tastes of tobacco and black olives (this is a taste that I tend to get often in wines I like, but no one ever agrees with me that it's there). It's a very smooth wine that went terrific with my dinner. I also enjoyed the fact that it's closed with a screw cap. I know there are many purists out there who abhor the screw cap, but it is a very practical way to close the wine. And there's no chance of the wine getting "corked."

NP: Buzzard Song, Miles Davis

No comments: