Thursday, December 21, 2006

Franch Fries... Franch Dressing...

Over the past couple of weeks we've been delving into a lot of French White Wines. Astor Wines was having a sale on Loire Valley wines a month or so ago, so I went down to the Village and bought a couple different bottles of wine. Then, the other day, I stopped into Cellar 72 on the Upper East Side. They were having one of their many free tastings and I enjoyed the white they were showcasing. I bought a couple bottles of that for the company we were having over later that night.
The first of the three that we opened was Lucien Crochet Sancerre La Croix du Roy, France 2004. This bottle was listed as "textbook Sancerre" in Astor Wines. We had this one night when I decided it would be a good time to take a crack at preparing Skate at home. Overall, the meal was a success, and the wine went well with it. I remember it being very crisp with some limestone, citrus and grass. A nice bottle of Sancerre.
The second bottle we tried was the Philippe Raimbault Sancerre "Apud Sariacum" 2005. This bottle was opened up when a couple of our friends came by to visit our son and ended up staying for dinner. I really enjoyed this wine. In fact, I thought it was a better wine than the Lucien Crochet, which was a more expensive wine. This wine was very crisp, with lemon and lime on the initial tasting and finishing with a strong sense of tart apples.
The last bottle I'm going to talk about today is Vieux Clocher Vacqueyras Blanc 2004. This bottle I knew nothing about before entering the wine shop. I knew we were having people over for dinner and I wanted to grab a couple bottles of wine. I didn't know exactly what I was going to get , and after I tried this wine I thought it might be the one. The clincher was that it wasn't expensive, and that makes buying a couple of bottles much easier. I really don't remember too much about this one, except that I enjoyed it. It went down pretty easy, and went well with the variety of foods we had. I would get it again, and maybe the next time, I'll stay sober enough to remember more about it.

NP: Holiday In Cambodia, The Dead Kennedys

1 comment:

thor iverson said...

For what it's worth, the Crochet will be better in about five to eight years. It's designed to age.