Friday, December 08, 2006

Alternate Side Rules Are Not In Effect

Thank God for the Immaculate Conception. Today, I had planned on getting up and sitting in my car for 1 and 1/2 hours waiting for the NYC alternate side parking rules to pass. Basically, if you own a car in NYC and don't feel like throwing down another $400.00 a month for a parking space, you do what we do. If your car is in a spot with no parking from 9:00 am - 10:30 am on Tuesdays and Fridays, you can either go and look for a new spot or just sit in your car until 10:30. The spots are "No Parking" not "No Standing," so as long as you're in your car you won't get a ticket. The police may make you move - and you'll have to when the street cleaner comes by, but otherwise, it's an hour and a half of boredom to avoid a $150 parking ticket.
I used to grab some coffee and the paper and sit in my car listening to Howard Stern. However, since his jump to Sirius, I can't do that anymore. Now I'll either listen to whatever else is on the radio, read a book or bring my portable DVD player and watch a movie.
So, this morning, I got up, had my cup of coffee and was about to jump in the shower to get ready for a long morning in the car. Since I was at the computer, I thought I would check the alternate side parking calendar, just in case. And guess what? Today, alternate side rules are suspended because of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Nice!

In other news, I got my new Video iPod yesterday. My old iPod bit the dust (battery died) and luckily I had the 2-year Best Buy warranty. So, I upgraded to the Video iPod and just had to pay the difference in the cost. So far, I like it a lot. This is the second time I've had to use my additional warranty on an iPod. Of course I got it on this new one too (it's a 3-year one now - they don't offer a 2 anymore) just in case.

NP: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, The Ramones

2 comments:

zorknapp said...

Is there a community of car sitters who go out on these alternate side mornings?

Are there people who can get paid to sit in your car? That'd be a sweet job if you could get it, and if it paid...

Louie said...

Actually there are a bunch of people who sit in their cars with their coffee and books/papers/kids etc. It's part of living in NYC that no one thinks about when they are attracted by the bright lights of the city. Of course, most intelligent people wouldn't own a car in NYC if they couldn't afford a parking spot, but that's a whole different story.