Saturday, December 09, 2006

Andy Pettite Redux

The Yankees have resigned Andy Pettite to a one year deal for $16 million (pending physical), with a player option for a second year. Overall, I'm very happy about this move. Sure, Andy's not the pitcher he used to be, and a lot of the concerns about his elbow have proven true, but I like him and am happy he's back on the team. I admit that some of my happiness is pure nostalgia for the years when the Yankees dominated baseball and Pettite was a big part of that. However, if he can be close to the pitcher he used to be, he'll be great for the Yanks. He's a lefty, which is important in Yankee stadium (and just about everywhere), and he's proven he can pitch in New York. I was one of the many who cried fowl when the Yankees basically let him walk out of New York three years ago. Let's hope he can bring some magic back to the Yanks. Now the starting rotation looks something like Wang, Mussina, Pettite, Johnson and Igawa (if they sign him). Personally, I hope they can somehow erase Johnson from the mix with either a trade/free agent signing/minor league promotion, but I doubt that'll happen unless his back prevents him from pitching.

NP: Phantom Of The Opera, Iron Maiden

No comments: