Monday, June 05, 2006

Mmmm... Osso bucco

Last night my wife and I headed downtown to Babbo to celebrate our second wedding anniversary. We had gone there last year for our first anniversary and have decided to continue this tradition as long as we're in The City. It is my favorite restaurant in NYC and probably tied with August in New Orleans as one of my favorite restaurants I've ever been to.
Last night we started off with the Sweet Potato Lune in a Butter & Sage sauce. That was a great way to start the meal. I paired it with a quartino (1/4 litre) of a white wine from Cinque Terre - I don't remember the name and I thought it would be on the restaurant's website, but the wine list isn't updated. This wine was light and crisp, with some minerality and a little green grass, which reminded me of the one's we had while there in Italy. For our main course, we had the Osso Bucco for Two. This was fantastic. It came with a saffron orzo and some greens sauteed in garlic. I love Osso Bucco (especially the marrow), and this didn't dissapoint. I had another quartino with this - a nice Nebbiolo D'Alba from the Piedmont region of Italy. Again, I don't remember the name, but I did enjoy it a lot. It had some nice dark fruits. It wasn't as big and chewy as I expected, but it was good.
We finished up with a chocolate hazelnut cake with hazelnut gelato (and I had a cappuccino). This was a great meal. And, once again, the service was terrific.
Last year, we split the beef-cheek ravioli, and I had a duck dish, which was terrific. We finished with a fig and berry topped panna cotta. This was a great night. A great way to celebrate 2 great years.
Oh, and if you get a chance to go to New Orleans - eat at August. It was terrific too.

NP: Mike & The Mad Dog, 660 WFAN

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

Sometimes, I wish I cared about food they way other people do. I enjoy reading about this place, but I just don't think I'd appreciate it. I'm happy with a bowl of Cheerios for dinner, so my palate is not terribly refined...