Thursday, June 29, 2006

Drinking the White

Yesterday it was really hot and muggy in NYC. My wife and I had recently returned home from a few days with her family where her grandmother stuffed our stomachs with tons of home-made Puerto-Rican food. There was beef, chicken and pork a-plenty along with every kind of root vegetable imaginable and tons of rice and beans. I loved every minute of it. However, our full bellies and the heat made us want something light and different last night. We opted for some fresh cavatelli pasta with potato pieces and string beans in home-made pesto sauce (this was something we had in Cinque Terre, Italy and have loved since). With this I enjoyed a bottle of Kris Pinot Grigio 2004, Venezie, Italia IGT. I had picked this up at a store in Jersey by my parent's place. This was a great wine to have on a hot night out on the deck enjoying my pasta. It was light and crisp with a little effervescence to it. There were tastes of peaches, green melon and a tiny hint of grape finishing off with some honey (it was a little more syrup-y feeling than I expected). It's 100% pinot grigio (pinot gris) grapes from vineyards in Montagna and the Mulinat Estate vineyards in Friuli.

No comments: