Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Two of my favorite places


So, over the past week or so, I've had a couple of different wines here at home. The first comes from Spain, the only European country I've been to more than once. It is Borsao Tres Picos 2004, a 100% garnacha wine. One of the sommeliers in a wine shop by my apartment recommended this to me since both my wife and I enjoy a nice Rioja. Although this is not a Rioja, he thought we would appreciate this one as well, especially at the price (they sell it for $9.99 although most of the shops in NYC I've seen it at, have it at around $15.99). The wine needed some time to breathe after uncorking, but once it did, I found something I could truly enjoy. There were hints of fruit on the nose, and it tasted like berries with some hints of vanilla and leather (which tends to be present in the wines I like). It doesn't have a harsh finish, which is also something that I enjoy when I find it in a lower priced wine. I think this is a nice "everyday" wine if you like Spanish reds. Oh yeah, in the glass, it's a really deep red/purple color. Not something you can see through.

The second wine I'll mention is Morellino di Scansano Riserva Le Sentinelle 2001, which is made up of 15% Alicante and 85% Sangiovese (actually, the specific type of Sangiovese is Morellino). Anyway, this wine is also very dark in color, like the Tres Picos, but that's really where the similarities end. This wine reminded me of the grapes that created it, finishing off with a more grape-y flavor than I imagined it would. This is a big, chewy wine, which went well with my spaghetti and meatballs, but I imagine it would do better with some nice cuts of meat. The only sore spot I really had was that it was a tad harsh and acidic at the end, even with the pasta sauce.

No comments: