Friday, May 26, 2006

Grand Vin

I've been trying to learn more about French wines. Most of my life I've had Italian wines (Italians like Italian things), and I haven't had too much contact with the French wines. After going to France and seeing how over my head I am in this area, I've decided to start small and see what I can come up with. Because I've enjoyed some West Coast Pinot Noir I wanted to try some Burgundy wines. Last night I had a bottle of Domaine Rollin Pere et Fils Bourgogne Haute-CĂ´tes de Beaune 2002 Burgundy, France. This wine is made up of 100% pinot noir grapes. At first I wasn't sure if I would like this bottle, but I soon realized that it just needed some time to breathe. Initially, it had a very strong alcohol odor with an underlying cherry scent. After airing a bit, the cherries won out. This wine is very light in color, and also feels very light on the palate. There are flavors of cherries, strawberries and other light red fruits. There is no harshness in the finish at all. We finished the bottle, so we did enjoy it, however I didn't love it either. All in all a good wine, but maybe a bit too light for me.

NP: She Talks to Angels, The Black Crowes

2 comments:

thor iverson said...

I can help with this, Lou. ;-)

Louie said...

Thanks. I don't like to bother you with this stuff all the time though. :)