Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The In 'N Out Burger

So, I made it back from San Francisco in one piece. I have to admit, I enjoyed that city a lot more than I thought I would. It felt like a mix between Boston and NYC, with good weather thrown in. It also reminded me a bit of Barcelona. With all those places that I enjoy mixed together in one big soup, it was difficult not to like the place. The only thing that turned me off was the large amount of homeless people there. Not that I have a thing against the homeless. We have more than our share here in NYC. However, I was amazed at how aggressive they were in San Fran. When they follow you, screaming at the top of their lungs when you don't give them a quarter, we've got a problem.
Anyway, I decided to try In 'N Out Burger while I was there. One of my old college roomates was from SF, and he raved about them all the time. You know what? Not all that impressed.
I did eat lunch at this place called Bocadillos on Monday, which kicked ass. I had the 2 bocadillo lunch special - one with 18 year old serrano ham and tomato rub, and another with Catalan sausage, manchego cheese and endives. I enjoyed that with a cold beer and finished it off with an espresso. That was a great lunch. Check it out if you're over there. It's right near the Pyramid building.

1 comment:

thor iverson said...

SF's my favorite city, by a long way, but the homeless thing is what happens when you don't have winter to drive them into shelters, etc. They're fairly easy to avoid once you leave the major tourist routes, though. And actually, despite the aggressiveness, I've never actually had one touch me...not the case in Boston, New York, DC, Chicago, heck, even Minneapolis. They just look (and sound) scary.

You could have eaten better. The key to I&O is ordering from the secret menu (2x4, at least, plus fries well done), but if you're in the city you're much better off going to Taylor's Refresher instead. Probably the most expensive burger you'll eat outside Daniel, but much, much better than I&O. Anyway, next time ask your in-SF-three-times-per-year friends for ideas!