Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Gypsies!

Today I had to go to Midtown to rent a tuxedo for my friend's wedding. It was such a nice day and I didn't really have much to do, so I decided to walk around the city a bit. Imagine my surprise when I saw a figure hunched over, head covered with a shawl, and her hand stretched out and up holding a can waiting for handouts. You may be thinking "Surprised about beggers in NYC? Is this guy an idiot?" But what really got me was that this was a Gypsy. She looked just like the ones we avoided in Italy and in Spain. The only difference is that I didn't see any Gyspy kids hanging around her waiting to take your money. In Italy, my response of choice was "Get away from me you damn Gypsy." Yes, not very politically correct, but when they follow you and try and touch you and keep trying to get money from you, there's only so much you can take.
Anyway... after getting over my initial surprise of seeing a Gypsy begging in New York, I saw another a few blocks later. They're here and I'm scared...

NP:

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

Is this for The Lilly wedding, or for another gala? :)

And I wouldn't have thought of NYC as a place for Gypsies. Boston, maybe, but NYC???