Sunday, May 13, 2007

One Comic-Book Geek's Opinion

This weekend, we went to see a movie in the theater for the first time since our son was born. We decided to go and see Spiderman 3. Personally, I thought the first two were some of the best comic-book-to-the-big-screen adaptations out there. Maybe my expectations for the third installment were too high. I was definitely entertained by this film, but I left feeling somewhat disappointed. Maybe it's because I read these comics as a kid (I don't think I've bought a comic since college, so it's been a while and maybe I'm not up with all the comic-book-facts), but I wasn't totally happy with how some of the characters were handled. I also felt that they were trying to do way to much with this movie, and some of the plot lines moved so quickly they were a little hard to accept.

Yeah, I know it's a movie about a guy with spider powers and you have to have a certain level of acceptance of the ridiculous...

A big part of my difficulty accepting this movie is because they changed some characters and moved some classic comic story lines around. The first two films didn't do that too much, but this one was full of changes. Gwen Stacy... Eddie Brock... The Alien Space Suit... Venom... The Sandman... Harry Osbourne (The "New" Goblin). Nothing was really faithful to the comic, and that left me feeling a little let down. Maybe it was because they tried to cram so much crap into one film, they had to cut corners and change things around to make it all work. Perhaps if they only had one villain... who knows?
Overall, it's a fun summer flick. We were entertained and enjoyed ourselves during the movie. Looking back on it, I'm disappointed, but you've got to learn to live with life's little disappointments, right?

NP: How Many Times?, Zack Hexum

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

I haven't seen it yet, but my friend brian had similar reactions to you. Too much crammed into too little time...

Maybe we'll see it this weekend...

If you can get out again, see "Hot Fuzz."