Friday, May 04, 2007

Coffeebucks

One of my favorite things to be brought into Scrubs lately is the in-hospital Coffeebucks. I love the fact that they didn't even try to hide that they were ripping on Starbucks.
Today, I have the pleasure of sitting in a place called Caribou Coffee. I've never been in one of these before (although I think maybe I've seen one in NYC). The place I went to grab breakfast in yesterday was really sub-par even though it looked like it would be good. It was called Corner Bakery Cafe. My breakfast sandwich was cold (although it took them 20 minutes to make it) and my coffee sucked. This Caribou Coffee place is pretty good. My latte is excellent, and my cinnamon roll is good (not great, but good). The thing that cracks me up about this place is how much it wants to be Starbucks. It should be called Cariboubucks. If you went into a Starbucks and hit it with an odd Montana-living-Canadian-mounty-riding-magic-wand-thingy, you'd get this place. It's laid out like a Starbucks. The food and drinks are like a Starbucks, and they even sell the same crap as a Starbucks. Now, let me tell you that I don't love Starbucks. In fact, I don't think they make great tasting coffee (although if you hide it in a lot of sugar and steamed milk, it turns out pretty good). My main point is that the similarities are amazing. Who knows, maybe this Caribou Coffee place came first and Starbucks rode it's ideas to fame, but somehow I doubt it.



For now, I'm off to the Smithsonian.

NP: Some crappy smooth-jazz, courtesy of Caribou Coffee

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

I need to watch more of the new Scrubs, as I'm addicted to the reruns on Comedy Central...