Friday, November 10, 2006

Lots of Catch Up

So... I've not posted in a while. Having a new baby and working a lot will do that to you. Anyway... here are some things I've been thinking about.

A little over a year ago, we went on a trip to Virginia. Sort of fake camping in a cabin we rented, where we barbecued, hiked in the Shenandoah National Park and went into the caves. One other thing we discovered in Virginia is that there are a bunch of wineries down there. We visited a few, and found a couple that we liked. We ended up buying a bottle of Viogner at the Rappahannock Cellars and bringing it back home with us. A pregnancy followed and the bottle stayed in my wine fridge until last week. It was Rappahannock Cellars Virginia Reserve Viogner, 2004. The thing is, I didn't really like this wine we we decided to buy it. My wife loved it and I just got it to make her happy. But, you know what? I really enjoyed it this time around. It was a really nice bottle of wine.

Another food-related item we tried over the past couple of days was ice cream from 5 Boroughs Ice Cream. This is a New York City based company, and I thought the flavors sounded really good. I got the Staten Island Landfill, which is vanilla ice cream with brownie chunks, chocolate fudge, chocolate crunchies, and cherries and the South Bronx Cha Cha Chocolate which is spicy hot chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips. I really wanted to like these to help support the NYC company, but I wasn't crazy about either. The Cha Cha Chocolate was way too spicy, making it too hot to enjoy. And the vanilla in the Landfill wasn't creamy enough. Maybe I'll try the other flavors, but it wasn't as good as Ciao Bella.

Finally, one last food item (well, drink item), is a bottle of Bordeaux that we bought this past spring while we were in Paris. Last night we made some nice steaks on the grill and wanted to have a nice red wine with the meat. At first we were surprised how harsh the wine was, but either we got used to it or it just needed to breath. In the end, it was really enjoyable. It was Reserve Nicolas Cotes De Bourg, 2004.

One last thing is that the Yankees finally traded Gary Sheffield today to the Detroit Tigers for 3 minor league pitchers. They Yanks got Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett from the Tigers. Personally, I've never heard of these guys, although their minor league stats aren't too bad. But, they are minor league stats. Who knows if they will ever translate into the Major Leagues. I think the Yankees should have held out for more, but I think they were worried that if they got stuck with Sheff he would have become a cancer in the clubhouse. Ah well... There are still too many other things to worry about before Spring Training.

NP: We Care A Lot, Faith No More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back. I'm not sure if I'd want ice cream to be hot, but I'd be curious to try it out. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this company, although over here on the Jersey side of the Hudson, who knows if it's even sold....