Monday, November 27, 2006

Espresso

A couple of months back, I decided to splurge a little on myself and buy an espresso machine. I really wanted to get one of those ultra-modern-do-it-itself machines, but I don't have a couple of thousand dollars to spend on a coffee machine. So, I got the Breville 800ESXL. It normally goes for around $400.00 but I got in on EBay for $125.00 plus shipping (not bad, huh?). Anyway, this machine works great! I started to enjoy the occassional coffee in college, but have progressed over the years to the cup every morning type of person. Then, I progressed to loving really good coffee while I was in Italy. Stopping at a cafe and grabbing a shot of espresso.
At home, we had one of those older Krups machines that worked on steam pumping, but the espresso never came out the same. No crema on top. It basically sucked. Then I learned that you needed bar-pump pressure (at least 10 bars of pressure to make a nice crema). The search was on. I could never bring myself to spending the money on the dedicated espresso machine, but I couldn't hold back any longer. Now I've got my machine and I love it every day. It even takes espresso pods, which, although more expensive, make the whole latte making experience in the morning much easier when I'm sleepy. I like to get mine from Espresso Tiamo. I've tried a few brands so far, and right now, I still favor the Segafredo Zanetti brand - it never dissapoints. But a new one I've found is Lucaffe, which makes a great espresso as well. I tried the Illy brand too, finally throwing down the big bucks, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Ah well. To each his own, right?

No comments: