Saturday, August 05, 2006

Maya

Wow. Maybe it's because we went here on a whim, but we had a great dinner at Maya last night. I got home from work a little on the later side, and we weren't really sure what to do about dinner. My wife was in the mood for Mexican, which is usually a bit of a problem in our neighborhood. There is good Mexican in the city, but it's few and far-between. By our place, there isn't much, except a couple of dive-y type places. We were going to go down to Rosa Mexicano, but then I remembered hearing that Maya had good food so we decided to check it out. Unfortunately, the reviews I read were correct about one thing - the place is incredibly noisy. I don't know what's wrong with the acoustics in this place, but it was LOUD. On the plus side, the reviews were also right about the food - it was great. We started with the Tamal al Chipotle (a corn tamale with shredded chicken and a sweet chipotle sauce). With the first bite it seemed too sweet, but it quickly grew on us and ended up being terrific. For my main course, I had the Alambre de Rib Eye (organic rib eye skewers with chorizo, bacon, peppers, mushrooms, gouda cheese and a tomtatillo-chile morita sauce). The beef was cooked perfectly and everything had the smokey taste of bacon and the spicy taste of chorizo. Nice! My wife had the Enchilada de Pollo (chicken enchiladas with a roasted tomatillo-chile morita sauce and gouda cheese), which I think were the best enchiladas I've ever tasted. I paired all of this with some Negra Modelo (no wine for me tonight). For dessert, we split the Crepas de Cajeta (which were crepes with caramelized goats milk, bananas, walnuts and cinnamon ice cream), which was a terrific way to end the meal. I did walk out of there feeling very bloated, but happy. Also our service was great. It was a great meal.

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

You know, I never realized how much you were into good food. Maybe that's what knowing someone during the college years does, as we certainly weren't gourmands then...

Although I don't think I'll ever try anything with goat's milk. I bias, I know, but one I'll live with. :)