Saturday, December 01, 2007

I Used To Hate Clowns

Since moving out of NYC I've actually started buying wine in my local grocery store. This wasn't something I would ever think of doing in the city, but here there's not too many better options. I haven't been too impressed with the wine selection and the quality of wines I've bought in the local wine stores. The grocery stores sell wine, and it's at least stuff I've heard of. It my not be the fanciest of selections, but it is pretty decent with the cheaper stuff.
One day I grabbed a bottle of Beauzeaux Red Wine California 2005 (pronounced Bo-Zo). It was $7.99 and had signs of "Wine of the Year (can't remember the exact organization that named it wine of the year)" around it. I was easily swayed and bought a bottle. It was actually very enjoyable. I've been through three bottles since and have liked every one. It's a red blend of 68% Zinfandel, 21% Syrah, 3% Petite Sirah, 3% Charbono, 2% Lagrein, 1% Valdiguie, 1% Grenache, 1% Tempranillo, so it pretty much goes with everything. It's a smooth wine with some blackberries and other dark fruits.
Another wine I picked up from the grocery store was Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay California 2005. This one I actually picked up because all Mondavi selections were on sale for $8.99 and usually we have pretty good success with them. I have to say I didn't love this wine. It was good, and I think most of my reservations are due to bad pairings with dinner, but overall it wasn't the best for me. It was a little too fruity and less buttery than I was hoping for in a chardonnay. Still, we bought 2 bottles and it was very consistent.

NP: Exit, Population 1

No comments: