Monday, November 12, 2007

It's A Crappy Day... I'm Feeling Winey

It's a crappy day out today, and I have to go to work in a little while. My son has finally settled down for an afternoon nap, and the work I want/have to do can't get done. For some reason my file is corrupted, so I have to wait until I get into my office to get my backup. So... I'm sitting here on my couch, with nothing better to watch on television but Grease 2, and I figure I should throw something up here.
Since moving into our new house, we've been through a whole lot of wine. Some good and some not-so-good. Luckily, I've been happy with most, but there have been the occasional stinkers.
One of my favorite wines is the Carpineto Dogajolo Tuscany Italy 2005. I used to get this wine a lot at Sherry-Lehman in the city and was excited to find it in my local Stop and Shop Wine Shop. It's not expensive and a great everyday Italian wine. It's a blend of Sangiovese and Carbenet Sauvignon grapes. I have this with pasta (marinara, bolognese or any variety of red sauces) and with meats. I think it's a fun, steady wine. I've had multiple bottles and never have been disappointed.
Another staple Italian red for us is the Ruffino Aziano Chianti Classico Tuscany Italy 2005. To be honest, I thought the 2003 was a much better wine, but I've been happy with the 2004 and 2005 as well (with the 2005 being a better choice over the two). We first had this wine (the 2003) in New Orleans, and we've stuck by it since. It's a great everyday chianti that goes with just about everything. It's got nice acidity, full body and a taste of dark red fruit.
A great white, which I will recommend to anyone is the Groth Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley 2005. This may be my favorite white wine. This is another wine that we first had while visiting New Orleans. We enjoyed this with dinner at August (which may be one of the best restaurants I've been to in the United States). I can't tell you how many bottles of this wine I've gone through. It's consistently excellent from bottle to bottle and vintage to vintage. It's great with seafood or light pasta dishes. It is crisp, light and has citrus flavors and melon.
Another wine we've had in the recent months was Graffigna Malbec Argentina 2004. I bought this one a very long time ago (while my wife was pregnant) at the recommendation of one of the guys at Murray's Wine Store and it's sat in my wine fridge ever since. My wife is a big fan of Malbec, so we waited until she wasn't pregnant or breast-feeding to enjoy this wine. I liked it. It wasn't terrific, but I've never been blown over by a Malbec. I like them, but they have never been a go-to wine for me. It's got lots of dark cherry and plums. A little spicy, but not too much. We paired it with grilled lamb chops and they went very well together (mmm.... those lamb chops turned out very good. I remember them well).

Oh... the baby's awake. Got to go.

No comments: