Monday, January 29, 2007

Get Together

This weekend, we had a little family party at the Agata and Valentina Ristorante on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. I have to admit, that after living up here for the past few years, I've become sick of the crappy supermarkets we have and try to go to places like Agata and Citarella whenever I can. Sure, I still need to go to the local Gristede's or D'Agostino's to get milk and canned goods, but I'm tired of the too-expensive bland or brown fruit and the meat that smells bad the second I open up the plastic. I'd rather pay above-average prices and at least get food that's fresh.
Anyway, we decided to have the party at the restaurant after having only one meal at the place last year after it opened. We remembered that meal being very good, so we went for it.
We had a set menu for the affair (it was a weekend brunch) which included:
Baskets of mini-muffins, croissants and other breads with assorted jams on the tables

First course (choice of)

Fresh fruit salad (mixed berry salad)
Insalata Mista (mixed greens with grape tomatoes, red onions, shaved Parmigiano and balsamic vinaigrette)

Main course (choice of)

Challah French Toast (with fresh berries)
Verdura Frittata (asparagus, mushrooms, roasted tomato and Parmigiano Reggiano)
Cavatelli al Ragu (Cavatelli with meat sauce)
Pollo all Griglia con Pesto (chicken breast with pesto sauce on bed of greens)

Dessert

Torta gianduja (flourless chocolate hazelnut cake with hazelnut gelato and orange sauce)

Drinks (choice of)

Bellini, Prosecco, or Soda and
Tea, Coffee, Soda or Juice


Overall, I thought the meal was great. I had the Insalata Mista and the Cavatelli. Going into it, I was sure I was getting the French Toast, but after sitting down, I realized I wasn't into breakfast anymore. I had a glass of Prosecco with my meal, which was terrific, but I forgot to ask what it was. The service could have been a little bit better (we waited about 45 minutes for a high chair for my nephew, among other things), but we all had a really nice time.

No comments: