Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Le Bernar-din-din

It's anniversary time again for us. 5 years! Time goes by very quickly, eh? Although our tradition for going to Babbo for our anniversary died out after only 3 years (unfortunately, we became less and less impressed with each passing year) we continue to make a point of going out for a good (hopefully great) meal. This year we decided to go to Le Bernardin. We weren't exactly sure what we were in for, except that we expected some really good food (and that I was required to wear a jacket).
At first, it felt a little stuffy inside to me. Perhaps it was all the French accents, or maybe I was just nervous - but that all went away with our friendly staff of servers. I toyed with the tasting menu idea, but then felt it would be safer (on my wasteline) to stick with the four course meal. This was all decided under a prelude to dinner - a little amuse bouche of salmon tartar. To begin (the almost raw course), I chose the layers of tuna pounded thin over fois gras and a parmesan crisp. My wife started with the Scottish and smoked salmon over apple, celery and watercress with jalapeno emulsion. For the second course (barely touched) I had the seared Spanish mackerel with parmesan crisp, sundried tomato and black olive oil, while my wife had the white tuna poached in olive oil with sea beans, potato crisps and light red wine bearnaise. For our main courses (lightly cooked), I had the baked langoustine and striped bass with confit tomato agnolotti with bouillabaisse consomme and curry emulsion while my wife had the crispy black bass with celery and parsnip custard and iberico ham-green pepper sauce. Throughout the meal, we shared a bottle of Pascal Cotat Sancerre, 2007, Loire France. This was a great wine, which went down very easily, however it did not have that green apple taste I usually associate with most Sancerre wines.
Finally, there was dessert. I had the dark chocolate and peanut caramel tart with meyer lemon puree, peanut powder and praline-citrus sorbet (with a cappuccino), while my wife had the Gianduja cream, Oregon hazelnuts, honey, banana, and brown butter ice cream.
Oh - there were some petit fours as well, which were amazing, but all we can remember was the tiny cream filled bignet.
This was an amazing dinner with not a single bad note throughout. Although a quick return would be too damaging to my poor wallet, I would love to go back again.

NP: Fringe (on the DVR)

1 comment:

jeje said...

GreatStyle team of professionals approaches each appointment with a sense of duty and commitment, ensuring that every visit to GreatStyle is characterized by reliability and enjoyable experiences. The peace of mind that comes with their dependability is priceless. It's not just a haircut; it's an experience that leaves me looking and feeling my absolute best, every single time.