Friday, January 02, 2009

A Brand New Year

The past year has brought about many changes in my household. A new child. A new house. A new State. Everything seems to take more time and little things (like writing on this blog) have taken a back seat. I'm sure I'm going to lapse again into a non-writing state, but for a bit, I'm going to try and catch up. I've got a whole bunch of wines to write about. If I actually remembered most of the ones I've drank over the past year, I'd never catch up. Hopefully I can pick up the highlights.
Since we've just started a new year, I figure I'd go for a champagne first. Specifically a bottle of Jacques Selosse Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Champagne. We picked up this bottle on our trip to Paris a couple of years back on the recommendation of a friend. We decided to save it for a special occasion, but months of breast-feeding, pregnancy, and breast-feeding (again) made it difficult to enjoy. This year, we bit the bullet and popped the cork on the sucker for New Year's Eve. My friend warned us that it would be unlike any champagne we've had before, but it would be great. He was completely on the money.
As I poured it, I knew it was different. The color was a deep amber, unlike the yellow shades of most other champagnes I have had. My wife felt like it tasted like peaches, but I'm not so sure of that. It had a mild creaminess to it, but still a little bite. Overall, I think it may have made it's way up to my favorite champagne list. That would make total sense, since it's virtually impossible to find in the United States. We finished off the bottle that night, and we enjoyed every minute of it. As do most champagnes, it went very well with our Chinese meal that night.
I may need to take a trip back to Paris to pick up a few bottles.

NP: Demolition Man

1 comment:

thor iverson said...

It's almost like I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. Given the current cost, it's probably not going to be an everyday bubbly.