Friday, July 04, 2008

"What Happened This Time?"

Initially, I had a different title for this blog entry, and I had started writing it with a totally different beginning. However, when I went outside to grill some dinner on the barbecue (some nice lamb) my neighbor approached me with that horrible question: "What happened this time?"
For those not in the know, we recently renovated our basement. It was already a "finished basement," but we hated the way it was, so we just paid a construction company a lot of money to renovate it. New foor, ceiling, sheet-rock and a new storage closet. I had even started moving some things down there - the computer (not this one) and my flat-screen television. This was going to be a playroom for the kids/media room/office space. It was all planned out, with the current office to be converted to the new baby room/nursery (she's due in a couple of months).
Anyway... it was all finished about 9 days ago and then we went away to Martha's Vineyard for a family get-together (I was hoping my next blog entry was going to be about that trip, but it's going to have to wait). We got home last night and my wife threw some laundry in the machine to get ahead on the chores we had set for ourselves for the rest of the weekend. A couple of hours later, I decided to head to the basement to start setting up the desktop computer in the new office-space. That's when I saw it. Water. Everywhere. Somehow during my freakout, I threw on some rubber boots and headed into the mess. The water was at least 4 inches deep. My first instinct was to check the boiler, but it was fine. No... it was the washer. Somehow it was still running 2 hours after the load had started and there was water pouring out the back.
I was able to stop the flow and headed off to Home Depot to rent a pump. 3 hours later, my father, mother and I were able to get it down to a distinct dampness in the basement.
Today, the professional cleaners showed up at the request of our home-owners insurance company. They had to rip up the floor, take off all the molding and spray some anti-mold stuff in the basement as well as pump out the rest of the water. Now we've got what feels like 30 industrial strength fans running until at least Monday to dry out the basement.
Seeing the trucks outside our house is what prompted my neighbor's query. Unfortunately, we've already replaced our roof and dealt with a rodent problem (if you count one mouse as a problem), so our home is looking more and more like a money pit as the months pass.
We're currently accepting all donations to help with the current problem.

NP: Virtual Insanity, Jamiriquai

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

Wow, that does kind of suck...

I hope the basement looks even better once all the work is redone on it...

I have to look at the bright side of this. :)

Mike